CENTRE FOR SOCIAL PRACTICES
The "Voices of exclusion" project
Financed by the EuropeAidprogram of the European Union
that must be changed
· If a child doesn't behave it is told that it
will be given to the
· The Turk and Bulgarian Muslim children are being
taught in school about
the five centuries of Turkish dominance and the
atrocities of the "Turks".
· The prevailing part of Bulgaria believes, that
to travel to the eastern
Rodopi is a dangerous adventure.
· When praying starts in the Plovdiv Jumaya,
Bulgarian swearwords fly
from the streets directed towards the minare.
· Of the publications on minority themes, over 80%
is made up of material
about Turks and Roma. The Bulgarian Muslims are excluded,
pushed into the back
of the que together with the Russians, Chinese and
· Leading themes in the gypsy media space are the
criminal and social
issues: the Roma as generators of problems.
· The criminals who are not Roma form 71% of all
convicted for robberies,
73% - theft, 81% - rape and 84% - homicide by intent.
· According to three fifth of the researched
(2002) mass of journalists
in the national and local media, the reflection of the
issues of the minority
and specific communities is gravely inadequate.
· A major part of the themes about the Turks, is
made up of materials
reflecting the actions of the MRF (Movement for Rights
· The typical space of the typical daily newspaper
taken up by minority
issues is around 1 percent. Just the ethno-cultural
minorities in the country
make up at least 15 - 20% of the population.
If you can not present yourself in the public sphere,
there will be always
someone else to do it for you. And you will almost never
agree with the image
that you get this way.